Human Performance Project
We all want our students to be the best they can be. Whether it is in a sport, extracurricular activity, or academically the Human Performance Project encourages healthy behaviors that will help your student to reach their maximum potential. Link Together is working with D214 schools to share the science and motivation for making healthy choices including proper sleep, nutrition, use of screen time and substance use avoidance. Science shows these factors can significantly impact the success of your student. This initiative is not a club, it is a student commitment to leading a healthy life style with parental support.
- 8-10 hours of sleep per night is needed to repair muscles for athletes and most effectively retain information
- Have a routine: go to sleep & wake up at the same time every day
- Click Here to read the Human Performance Sleep Manual
- Choose lean meats, fish, and poultry, colorful fruits and vegetables, and low- or non-fat dairy products
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Click Here to read the Power Back Diet
- Looking at a screen before sleeping can interrupt your sleep cycle. Turn off electronics 90 minutes before bedtime and use screens in a room with the lights on to help disperse blue light.
- Monitor your teens use of screens including having them charge their electronics in your room or a room they do not sleep in.
Drugs and alcohol
- High school athletes lose 15-30% from their overall performance when they drink alcohol
- 1 night of binge drinking can erase up to 2 weeks of training
- Marijuana has substantial effect on students’ ability to achieve sufficient sleep, slows down reaction time, and reduces motivation
Link Together was excited to bring this outstanding speaker to District 214 and the Wheeling Township community. John Underwood, director and founder of the American Athletic Institute, brings his extensive knowledge about healthy lifestyle and reaching your best performance as an athlete, student, and person. Watch this sold out event, share with others, and learn to live a lifestyle that will help you reach your personal best!